Introduction to Ovarian Cancer
Ovarian cancer is a dangerous disease as despite the fact that there is a fall in its mortality rates but still, it is the fifth most common cancer found in women. This disease is known to cause a maximum number of deaths in female and the most affected part is the reproduction system.
This disease comes to your notice after a long time as only 20% cases are discovered early enough for treatment. It has been predicted by one of the renowned cancer society of United States that more than 20000 women would suffer from Ovarian cancer and about three-fourth of this number would die. If we consider 2012 there were around 200000 women in the US suffering from ovarian cancer? Out of every 75 women, 1 is affected with this disease and out of every 100 women, 1 has the risk of dying from ovarian cancer. Here we will discuss the 10 warning signs of ovarian cancer woman should not forget. This figure will give you a clear picture of this disease.
1. Loss of appetite
You may notice a sudden loss of appetite which is the most common warning sign of ovarian cancer.
• This is due to the fact that cancer has a negative impact on metabolism and slows down the process of breaking down the food into energy.
• This energy is not produced in sufficient quantity which affects the overall performance of the body.
2. Urinary problem
• You can feel like urinating suddenly or you may just like to go for a leak which is something unusual from your normal routine.
• You may even have problems related to your urinary bladder. The worst part is that this problem could change from bad to worse in just over a few weeks.
3. Pain in the abdomen
You may get pain in your pelvic region which is totally different from indigestion and menstrual problems are an indication of ovarian cancer. There have been instances where women had pain in their abdomen which lasted for about 3 weeks and it was not linked to problems like stomach flu, diarrhea and menstrual period. Just look at the figure and you will get the idea.
4. Feeling full
In cases where ovarian cancer have reached the advanced stage, the tumor can sit on the surface of the abdomen or even on the intestines which make the patient feel full very fast when they have eaten.
You may have problems like indigestion, nausea, gas and heartburn. These are very common symptoms of ovarian cancer.
• You may experience bloating or gas pain in your belly frequently which would not go away. This is another common symptom of ovarian cancer.
• If you notice an increased bloating in your belly and also your clothes fit tighter around your waist without any change in your activity or diet you need to consult a doctor.
7. Pain in the lower back
You may feel a continuous pain in the lower portion of your back which may be dull and annoying. Some women think that this pain is just like their labor pain.
8. Constipation and diarrhea
• You may notice a change in your bowel habits and problems of constipation and diarrhea are very common in ovarian cancer.
• This is because of the swelling of the tumor cells in the ovary which puts pressure on your bladder, stomach, and bowel.
9. Sudden loss of weight
You may shed around 10 pounds or more without exercising of dieting. This is a common symptom which is seen in patients of ovarian cancer in the early stage. This sudden and confusing weight loss should be immediately reported to your doctor.
10. Bleeding in the vagina
This symptom is not very common due to which people do not know much about it.
• This sign has only been noticed in about 1 in every 4 patients outside of their normal menstrual cycle.
• You may even see sores or blister in the vaginal area, the formation of thick discharge and change in the color of skin.
The given figure shows the rising format of the deadly disease of cancer.
Ovarian cancer is a deadly disease which should be taken very seriously. However, this disease can be prevented if we take some precautions and are able to identify the symptoms well in time. The worst part is that this disease is a silent killer and you only come to know about it when it has reached its advanced stage. You can take proper care and visit certain government websites which will give you complete information about ovarian cancer. Some of these popular sites where you can see are https://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovarian–cancer.html, https://www.cancer.gov/types/ovarian, and https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/ovarian/.